All of us have these vivid recollections of family gatherings that include customs around food. Among my favorites includes my late grandma “Edie”; at any family get together she came with raw oysters as well as a sleeve of saltine crackers. Each household member anticipated their turn to get one, including the great grandchildren. On the day of her funeral, all of us observed her life having a wine toast followed by an oyster. My kids never met their great grandmother, but we try to maintain stories and keep the custom alive. Therefore if we grill oysters, we tell stories about great-grandmother Edie. As the adage “Life is most brilliant, where food is greatest” says, we recall great-grandmother with this particular delightful oyster menu below.
Broiled Oysters with Flavored Butter
10 tablespoons melted butter
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp orange juice
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
2 tsp finely sliced fresh parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Half every shell cleaned, 2 – 4 oysters.
- In a pan combine all ingredients in the above list for the flavored butter and blend thoroughly to mix. Transfer butter mixture into a bit of plastic wrap and roll-up.
- Take the butter roll from the freezer. Cut the the butter into 1/4 inch pieces and put a piece on the top of every oyster.
- Put the oysters on the preheated grill
- Grill for about 5-6 minutes. You are going to understand they’re done when the juices begin to the edges curl and smoke.
- Serve promptly
- I suggest making these on a Weber Kettle to enrich the flavor.